Re: RAID Questions

On 07/06/2010 10:57 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
I recommend that you ignore the hardware raid and instead use software
raid.  The Debian installer can set up software raid for you at system
installation time.  It is easy.  But it is also a little confusing.

I beg to differ with you about it being easy; the installer's partitioner is buggy (at least this version, which is a daily build (trying to get the installer to recognize my Broadcom (arg!!) NIC)).

If you mess up anywhere along the way in your RAID setup, you have to reboot, wipe all the partitions using the Guided method (not Manual), reboot again, and start over.

The first time it somehow lost one of my partitions.

When I tried to recover, it won't add the partitions it sees (kind of like how it won't set the boot flag; you go through the actions, and it just ignores it).

Very buggy. Arg. I'll eventually beat it into submission.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com