Re: automatically removing commercials from recorded movies

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 08:58:09PM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 01:03:43PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > MythTV runs a program called "mythcommflag".  Maybe you could look up
> > the source or just get it to run standalone, without installing MythTV.
>
> As far as I understood, it works by creating some sort of index,
> giving something like frame numbers telling other components of mythtv
> to skip commercials or to cut them out. I never managed to get mythtv
> to actually cut out commercials and was only able to skip them during
> viewing.

Look into nuvexport.  It comes with MythTV.  I've never gotten it to
work (but I didn't try all that hard), but it's supposed to be able to
export to the format of your choice and remove the commercials that have
been flagged by mythcommflag.  Of course, this might require the myth
database, which is getting awfully close to a full-fledged MythTV
system.

> > I just tried "mplayer -vf blackframe myfile" and it looks like it might
> > have output a list of frames that are black.  I'm not 100% sure what I'm
> > looking at here, to be honest.
>

>        blackframe[=amount:threshold]
>               Detect  frames  that are (almost) completely black.  Can
> 	      be useful to detect chapter transitions or commercials.
> 	      Output lines consist of the frame number of the detected
> 	      frame, the percentage of blackness, the frame
>               type and the frame number of the last encountered
> 	      keyframe.
>
>                  <amount>
>                       Percentage of the pixels that have to be below
> 		      the threshold (default: 98).
>
>                  <threshold>
>                       Threshold below which a pixel value is
> 		      considered black (default: 32).
>

> Hmmmm ... Could be useful, but it just plays the movie. The manpage of
> mplayer is pretty much unreadable, so I couldn't figure out how to
> only filter the file and have the frame numbers printed. And then,
> when I have such numbers, what do I do with them other than entering
> them into dvbcut?

I don't know.  I was hoping you might!

-Rob