Re: automatically removing commercials from recorded movies

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 01:03:43PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

> MythTV runs a program called "mythcommflag".  Maybe you could look up
> the source or just get it to run standalone, without installing MythTV.

As far as I understood, it works by creating some sort of index,
giving something like frame numbers telling other components of mythtv
to skip commercials or to cut them out. I never managed to get mythtv
to actually cut out commercials and was only able to skip them during
viewing.

> I just tried "mplayer -vf blackframe myfile" and it looks like it might
> have output a list of frames that are black.  I'm not 100% sure what I'm
> looking at here, to be honest.

       blackframe[=amount:threshold]
              Detect  frames  that are (almost) completely black.  Can
	      be useful to detect chapter transitions or commercials.
	      Output lines consist of the frame number of the detected
	      frame, the percentage of blackness, the frame
              type and the frame number of the last encountered
	      keyframe.

                 <amount>
                      Percentage of the pixels that have to be below
		      the threshold (default: 98).

                 <threshold>
                      Threshold below which a pixel value is
		      considered black (default: 32).

Hmmmm ... Could be useful, but it just plays the movie. The manpage of
mplayer is pretty much unreadable, so I couldn't figure out how to
only filter the file and have the frame numbers printed. And then,
when I have such numbers, what do I do with them other than entering
them into dvbcut?