Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:44:18 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 05:06:02PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> No, I think you still ignore what is this all about. I'll try to make
>> it short and easy:
>
> Your objections are completely irrelevant.

Those are not "my" objections but how things work. If you don't like it,
I'm afraid I can only say "sorry for you".

> I was saying that suspend to
> disk is something that should work out of the box.

In an ideal world, yes, *anything* should just work out the box...

> The Debian installer
> is another example for something that should work out of the box. Yet
> suspending to disk doesn't, and I've seen the Debian installer failing
> miserably as well because there wasn't any support for SATA drives
> included despite they had already replaced the IDE drives at that time.

I'm not with Debian enough time to see the installer failing but for sure
I had many problems with another distros installers as well as hardware
detection issues or software problems. And I had to write many bug
reports so the errors I was facing were corrected in the upcoming
releases.

> Still that doesn't mean that the Debian installer and suspending to disk
> shouldn't work out of the box. You may have a different opinion about
> what should work out of the box and what not, but both our opinions
> about this are irrelevant.

I don't think so. Because is not about "opinions" but real errors or bugs
that can be corrected and is up to you (or me) to get them fixed.

> As to warranties and certificates: If it would turn out that the USB 3.0
> controller I bought a few days ago prevents suspending to disk, I could
> return it to the store and either get another one or my money back. I've
> recently done it with a graphics card that got too hot and blanked out
> the screen and an USB card reader that wasn't detected at all when
> plugged in. Nobody asked for any certificates, and even if they did, I
> didn't agree to or sign any certificates when buying the hardware.

Fine! But how in the hell are you expecting to know that your new USB 3.0
controller card is preventing hibernation, provided that you *do not
want* to make any test? That is a no-sense.

> So what's the point in your attempts to encounter practical experience
> with returning hardware with the mentioning that I don't have
> certificates that certify compatibility and therefore won't be able to
> return the hardware if it doesn't work? I just return it.

Read my very first post on this thread. I was giving you hints on how to
debug your hibernation problems, then you said that you "do not want to
experiment with hibernation because it fails".

Of course it can fail! Hibernation is not bullet-proof science, as
neither is anything else in your system.

Look, how many times we are seeing here -in this list- that an update
(kernel, xorg server...) broke something (X display, network
connection...). Many times, I'd say. And what are you going to do? Are
you going to the hardware store and return back any piece of your
computer that fails at some point? That is a no sense approach :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón