Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:14:07 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:42:02PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:40:32 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>
>> > Excuse me but are you *really* saying that anyone "there" would buy a
>> > car that only certain people can operate without voiding the
>> > warranty? Where is there?
>>
>> Is not the "people" who drives the car but the "use" that people do
>> with the car.
>
> Of course it's ppl driving the car, it doesn't drive all by itself.
> Everybodys driving conditions are different, and you don't get a
> certificate that the car is suited for yours.
>
> Just imagine your certified windoze computer: Does the certificate name
> every piece of software and the version of the software, etc., you're
> allowed to run on it, and do you lose the warranty on your computer when
> you dare to run some software that's not specified on the certificate?

(...)

No, I think you still ignore what is this all about. I'll try to make it
short and easy:

Hibernation/suspension is only guaranteed to work "out of the box" on
complete/full systems (computers *and* operating system) that have been
certified to do it so. Period.

On DIY systems, you can only "hope" that hibernation plays nice with your
current hardware and software, and if not (wich happens very often),
debug it, make test or just leave as is.

More info:

***
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)

(...) In some cases entering into hibernation can cause incorrect
operation on restarting, due to problems with the hibernation software,
or with devices or software which is not fully compliant. Hibernate
causes connections to other devices to terminate.
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón