Re: [SOLVED] switching to console and zapping

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:34:52AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 09:39:53 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I changed the keyboard setting in xorg.conf:
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
> >     Driver         "kbd"
> >     Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> >     Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
> >     Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
> > EndSection
> >

> Are you running Lenny?  I thought all that stuff was dynamically
> sensed in Squeeze.

Testing --- no idea if an xorg.conf is needed, but it works now :) But
then, how do you tell the X server to use the nvidia driver or what
keyboard you have without an xorg.conf?

> > Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> If I recall correctly, you had a 101-key IBM Model M keyboard, is
> >> that correct?
> >
> > Aren't they 102 keys?
>
> If I recall correctly, the US version has 101 keys; and the international
> version has 102 keys.  The shape of the Enter key on the main portion
> of the keyboard (as opposed to the numeric keypad) is the easiest way
> to tell the difference.  The international version has a key cap for
> the Enter key that has the shape of a backwards capital L.  The US
> version has an Enter key with a rectangular shape.  At the risk of
> boring you with mind-numbing detail, here is the physical layout of the
> US version, which is the one I have:
>
> Esc  F1 F2 F3 F4  F5 F6 F7 F8  F9 F10 F11 F12  Print_Screen Scroll_Lock Pause
> ` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace  Insert Home Page_Up  Num_Lock / * -
> Tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ] \  Delete End Page_Down  Home Up_Arrow PgUp +_(top_half)
> Caps_Lock a s d f g h j k l ; ' Enter    Left_Arrow noop_(5_when_shifted) Right_Arrow
> Shift z x c v b n m , . / Shift  Up_Arrow  End Down_Arrow PgDn Enter_(top_half)
> Ctrl  Alt Space_Bar Alt  Ctrl  Left_Arrow Down_Arrow Right_Arrow  Ins Del
>
> That's 101 keys.

Hm, the cap on the enter key is rectangular but at the top has an
outcropping which probably is what makes you referring to the
L. However, there are German keyboards that have this L-shaped enter
key. There are different versions of US keyboards as well, though
there might be only one version of the Model M.

It's qwertz, of course, jklöä# Enter, the Alt Key on the right side is
labled "AltGr", and the Ctrl keys are labled "Strg" --- whatever these
are supposed to mean.

Besides that, the German layout is unsuited for computers because keys
like "/", "~" and the brackets are at pretty inaccessible locations
(like Shift-7 for "/" and AltGr for "{"). That's something I changed.

If you're interested, I can send you my .Xmodmap ... There are some
pictures on [1]. Unfortunately, they don't have an email address which
prevents me from asking how much the shipping would be ...

[1]: http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html