Re: [SOLVED] switching to console and zapping

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 06:31:59 -0400 (EDT), Tomasz Maluszycki wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:15:58 -0400 (EDT), lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I changed the keyboard setting in xorg.conf:
>>

>> Section "InputDevice"
>>    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>>    Driver         "kbd"
>>    Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
>>    Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
>>    Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
>> EndSection
>>

>> I was lucky that the keyboard settings in KDE use setxkbmap with some
>> options when you enable keyboard layouts. That helped me to find out
>> that there's no 'Option "XkbVariant" "de"'. Once I got a good setting
>> playing around with that, I used 'xmodmap -pke' to create a keymap
>> which I edited to change the layout the way I wanted it. It's being
>> loaded from my ~/.xinitrc now.
>
> For multilingual settings I'm using US Layout, and I have additional option in
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>      Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>      Driver         "kbd"
>      Option         "XkbModel" "pc104"
>      Option         "XkbLayout"   "us"
>      Option        "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
> EndSection
>
> It works just fine, considering that I've laptop without 104 keys. And
> I can write
> in every Latin based alphabet. And I have to write in polish. Here is table for
> of compose keys: http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html
> On wiki you can (?) read about it. Though if you have to write only in German
> "de" layout should suffice.
>
> May The Source be with you.

I don't know what model of laptop you have, but most laptops have a way
to emulate the numeric keypad keys and therefore emulate a standard
keyboard layout.  See, for example, the section titled
"Configuring the X Server" on this web page for the IBM ThinkPad 600:

   http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm

In this case, the internal keyboard of the IBM ThinkPad 600, which
physically has only 85 keys, can emulate a pc101 keyboard, which has
101 keys.  (The differences between a 101-key keyboard and a 104-key
keyboard are the two logo keys and the menu key which were introduced
for the benefit of that ubiquitous operating system which must not
be named.)  If your laptop does not have or cannot emulate those keys,
as is the case for the IBM ThinkPad 600, then you should define the
keyboard as pc101.

Switching from the X console to a text console with Ctrl+Alt+Fx (x=1-6)
or zapping the X server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace do not require the use
of emulated keys, but changing resolutions with Ctrl+Alt+Numplus or
Ctrl+Alt+Numminus, where Numplus and Numminus are the + and - keys on
the numeric keypad, respectively, do require making use of the emulated
keys.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :