Re: Saving files of one folder in another partition, but without changing the path?

Hi,
On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:33:04PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Put simply, I have a program which saves data in a subdirectory of
> /var/lib/. The problem is double:
>
> 1. I can't modify the path where data are saved;
> 2. I'm lacking free space in /var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/ because
> it is on an isolated partition (say hda2).
>
> However, I have free space in /home/merciadriluca/, but this is on
> another partition (say hda1). How could I manage to save
> /var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/* data at
> /home/merciadriluca/another_folder/ so that the program notices
> nothing?
> Symlink?

Symlink is one possibility:
ln -s /home/merciadriluca/another_folder
/var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/
will create a link "/var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/" which points to
/home/merciadriluca/another_folder" (before, you have to remove
/var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/)

Another possibility would be to bind-mount the directories:
(both directories have to exist, /var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/should
be empty)
mount -o bind /home/merciadriluca/another_folder
/var/lib/the_concerned_subfolder/
Then, you can access the same data in both directories -- they are
stored on the device of /home/merciadriluca/another_folder

HTH,

Axel