Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core and Debian install

On Jo, 01 iul 10, 15:06:33, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Krishna Chandra Prajapati wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's true. There is no difference in the installation process of OS
> > (AMD or Intel).
> Thanks.
> > If you are using it for personal purpose i386 is preferred. Other wise
> > i recommend i686.
> Why (briefly)? (Or give me a pointer.)

Not sure what Krishna meant, but if you do go for i386 have a look in
the package management system for any packages containing 686
in the name. The description should have more details, but these are
usually the same packages optimized for the respective processors and
all Pentium Pro or later processors will benefit from it.

You might also want to run the -amd64 kernel, which will give you a
mixed system (64bit kernel, 32bit userland).

Regards,
Andrei