Re: SATA disk detected as IDE?

Josep M. put forth on 6/30/2010 2:11 PM:

> The performance of this HD is very poor,my old computer, SATA1, was much
> more fast than this SATA2 so, I'm looking how increase the performance
> of this computer.

This 1.5TB Seagate ST31500541AS drive spins at 5900 rpm.  Was your old drive a
7200 rpm model?  If so, that would explain the performance drop.  The old
drive will probably be faster across the board with random I/O.  The new drive
will likely stream sequential I/O a bit faster.  Given that the bulk of most
workstation/desktop I/O is random, the drive with the faster spindle speed
will have better performance, even if it is older.

For example, as a test, slap a used U320 SCSI card and a 5 year old 73GB
15,000 rpm Seagate or IBM U320 SCSI disk into your current workstation and
you'll see it run circles around _any_ brand new 750-2TB SATA drive.  It'll be
twice as fast or more with random I/O pretty much across the board, and will
still be competitive WRT streaming I/O.

When it comes to mechanical disk performance, there is no substitute for
spindle speed.

--
Stan