Re: SATA disk detected as IDE?

On 06/30/2010 11:37 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Josep M. put forth on 6/30/2010 2:11 PM:

The performance of this HD is very poor,my old computer, SATA1, was much
more fast than this SATA2 so, I'm looking how increase the performance
of this computer.

This 1.5TB Seagate ST31500541AS drive spins at 5900 rpm.  Was your old drive a
7200 rpm model?  If so, that would explain the performance drop.  The old
drive will probably be faster across the board with random I/O.  The new drive
will likely stream sequential I/O a bit faster.  Given that the bulk of most
workstation/desktop I/O is random, the drive with the faster spindle speed
will have better performance, even if it is older.

This is an example of why you need to think long and hard before buying "green" drives.

For example, as a test, slap a used U320 SCSI card and a 5 year old 73GB
15,000 rpm Seagate or IBM U320 SCSI disk into your current workstation and
you'll see it run circles around _any_ brand new 750-2TB SATA drive.  It'll be
twice as fast or more with random I/O pretty much across the board, and will
still be competitive WRT streaming I/O.

When it comes to mechanical disk performance, there is no substitute for
spindle speed.

--
Seek truth from facts.