Re: [OT] Network Bizzard

Camaleón put forth on 6/29/2010 10:43 AM:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:40:09 -0700, Phillipus Gunawan wrote:
>
>> Today I found a network problem which being fixed but I can not explain
>> why/how. So if someone can enlightening me, would be much appreciated
>
> (...)
>
> If both networks are working fine when they act separately, then the
> problem may reside in the network setup (duplicated/conflicting IP
> addresses, bad cabling or switch connections, routing problems...) so the
> problem arises when you join both networks.
>
> I assume both swicthes are unmanageable layer 2, 16-port gigabit standard
> switches and all ports MID/MDIX capable so nor "up-link" ports nor
> crossover cable is needed.
>
> The more details you provide (cabling management details?, are there
> pacth panels in use or just direct plug to the swtich...?) the better.

Having 2 physical links between ethernet switches requires link aggregation,
port bonding, whatever the switch vendor calls it.  All switches with such
capability fall into the "managed switch" product category.

If these are managed switches, read the documentation and find out if they
support link aggregation.  If they are not managed switches, then make sure
there is only one uplink cable between the switches.

If you would provide us with the brand and model of the switches we could
probably tell you pretty quickly if they support link aggregation or not.

--
Stan