Re: change system behavior upon IP address conflict

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:48:50 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Hello. In case IP address conflict is detected, different system behave
> differently. I recall in my campus days FreeBSD would ignore it as if IP
> address conflict never happened, while Windows system would disable
> eithernet interface for a while and try it later. Having used Debian for
> a few years I wonder if this behavior is configurable in Debian? And the
> reconfigurability is related to networkmanager (which doesn't exist in
> my campus days) or not?

I am unaware of any specific configuration to prevent this, at least when
using no DHCP server and you manually define the IP address of the network
devices.

It also should be nice that "network manager" could handle this.

Anyway, there are some tips for discovering duplicated IP addresses:

***
How to: Detect Duplicate IP Address With arping command under Linux
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-duplicate-address-detection-with-arping/
***

Greetings,

--