change system behavior upon IP address conflict

Hello. In case IP address conflict is detected, different system behave
differently. I recall in my campus days FreeBSD would ignore it as if IP
address conflict never happened, while Windows system would disable
eithernet interface for a while and try it later. Having used Debian for
a few years I wonder if this behavior is configurable in Debian? And the
reconfigurability is related to networkmanager (which doesn't exist in
my campus days) or not?

Thanks.

Best.