Re: Downgraded Flash Non-Free 32 to Backports

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 03:10:20PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Saturday 19 June 2010 14:10:28 Freeman wrote:

. . .

> > Is there some possible fix, something else in development or is flash
> > simply going to be bad solution for old radeons?
> >
> Flash won't be fixed :-), and it is not really the issue.  The newer (squeeze)
> radeon driver has spotty support for older ATI adapters.
>
> My ATI M7 (7500) doesn't work well enough with the radeon driver, I use the
> vesa driver.
>
>  When I researched the issue it was apparent that old ATI where not supported
> by ATI or the xorg stuff. Seems like the same video adaptor is also different
> depending on the vendor.
>
>  My ATI stuff is a Gateway 450ROG laptop. I have two, one with the M7 an one
> with the Fire GL, the Fire GL one works with the radeon driver but I don't
> use flash on it.

I wasn't aware of an xorg issue with Radeon FireGL 9000. I will gladly do
some reading this weekend if anyone has links.

The card was dropped from fglrx but the firmware-linux package replaced
that well enough.

The Gallium3D backend to mesa is suppose to support old radeons some day in
the future according to my understanding.

My problem with flash vids is also fixed by downgrading to:

Package: xserver-xorg-video-radeon
Pin: version 6.12.6-1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: xserver-xorg-video-ati
Pin: version 6.12.6-1
Pin-Priority: 1001

(I haven't had time to try each downgrade individually.)

But that fix trashes Google Earth, despite that it worked with those
versions before they were upgraded to 6.13.0-2.  That upgrade was evidently
part of the problem with flash which hasn't been upgraded since September.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody