Re: Downgraded Flash Non-Free 32 to Backports

On Saturday 19 June 2010 14:10:28 Freeman wrote:
> Flashpluggin non-free became very choppy on my 32 bit squeeze install with
> an old Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000].  Nothing played smoothly.
>
> It started near-about the recent xserver upgrades: xserver-xorg-core,
> xserver-common, xserver-xorg-video-ati, xserver-xorg-video-radeon, mesa
> utils. My version of flashpluggin dated back to September, '09.
>
> Upgrading firmware-linux to experimental did not work.
>
> Downgrading flashpluggin non-free to 2.8.0 did not work.
>
> Downgrading to flash to 2.5~bpo50+1, on a lark, did work. But that seems
> temporary at best.
>
> Is there some possible fix, something else in development or is flash
> simply going to be bad solution for old radeons?
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Freeman
>
> "Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is
> the answer." --Somebody

Flash won't be fixed :-), and it is not really the issue.  The newer (squeeze)
radeon driver has spotty support for older ATI adapters.

My ATI M7 (7500) doesn't work well enough with the radeon driver, I use the
vesa driver.

 When I researched the issue it was apparent that old ATI where not supported
by ATI or the xorg stuff. Seems like the same video adaptor is also different
depending on the vendor.

 My ATI stuff is a Gateway 450ROG laptop. I have two, one with the M7 an one
with the Fire GL, the Fire GL one works with the radeon driver but I don't
use flash on it.

--
Peace,

Greg