Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Installing Squeeze)

I have spent the last couple of days (intermittently) failing get a usb bootable installation for squeeze that will work with my hardware and AMD-64 (I have inadvertently built an i386 system [twice] - because I have an old squeeze installation on an SD card that I failed to add the architecture label to).

I have a server which has no cd. Only real possibility is to boot from a usb memory stick. Fortunately with the fact that I have an SDHC card to USB adaptor I have plenty of them large enough.

Following the instructions in the installation manual section 4.3.2 "Copying the files - the flexible way" I can get a bootable installation provided I can get an .iso

However my new system will be comprised of ext2 and ext4 filesystems and right now there is a bug which prevents versions 2.16 of libblkid1 making such systems 2.17 works - and is available in sid (and can be back copied into squeeze) but until it can migrate into testing (which I had expected to happen last night - but something has now delayed it another two days)

So downloading the weekly .iso of CD1 of testing doesn't work - because it fails in the partitioning process of making the new filesystems.

I have also downloaded the daily netboot install which has the sid installer (although it installs squeeze) but that seems not to recognize either of my two ethernet cards so installation doesn't even get started.

I am not sure where to go next. Possibilities seem like

a) Get a SID CD .iso - install that and then change my sources.list to point at the squeeze repositories once it has installed the base system.

b) Try and dynamically change the libblkid1.so.1 file once the installer has booted.

Neither seem perfect.  Has anyone any other suggestions?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk