Re: Torrents killing my conection

On Sunday 20 June 2010 18:06:37 ABS Doug wrote:
> Downloading Ubuntu through Iceweasel went fine... thing is it went SO
> fast, I'm not sure it's really a good test.

  FYI, this effectively rules out the MTU issues I suggested earlier,
so it was a useful test for that.

  The multi-OS character would seem to rule out hardware, so at
this point the most likely candidate is network drivers.

  A bit of googling following up on your lspci output
(showing an Atheros AR242x device) turned up this page:

<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid#Atheros_Cards>

  The upshot there seems to be that the Right Thing is to
select the "proprietary drivers" option at Ubuntu-install-time,
and things should work.

  If you didn't do that, you can follow the instructions on the page
there to get recent madwifi drivers.

  If you already *did* select the proprietary drivers at
Ubuntu-install time, and they're not working, then I suppose
you could try the more recent madwifi drivers anyways...

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net