Rfkill not fully working on Dell Mini 1012

Hello List,

I had a morning of terror with my Debian Sid on my new Dell Mini (v.
1012). The laptop has a broadcom 4312 Wifi card that works with the
module b43. I had to find the right combination of firmware and fwcutter
to make it work reliably, but that's another story. I am running 2.6.34
from experimental.

The multimedia keys on the keyboard work nicely: when I pressed the
"antenna" button (F2) the Wifi was switched off. Running

# rfkill list

showed that Soft and Hard block were ON.
However, pressing the button again didn't do anything, and running:

# rfkill unblock all

only changed the soft block. Since that is the only "hardware" button
available, and I have no Windows installed on the machine, I did the next
best thing and ran a liveUSB with Ubuntu.
There I loaded first the b43 module, and the wifi connection was
unavailable. Then I loaded the proprietary STA module and that worked,
effectively unblocking the card.
Rebooting in Debian showed the card unlocked, and I could use the laptop
normally.

I would like to file a bug against this behaviour, but I am confused as
on whose fault is it: is it b43 (so file against the kernel), is it the
firmware (so don't file), or is it hal?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long message.

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449