Re: Re: GRUB2 - automatically generating extra entries

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For grub1, the only way that I can see doing this
>> automatically/automagically is to replace the single/recovery entries
>> by init3 entries.
>
> I just found my old menu.lst - there was a section that started:
>
> ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
> ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below
>
> You could add an arbitrary number of entries for each kernel, to be
> generated automatically:
>
> ## altoption boot targets option
> ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
> ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
> ##      altoptions=(single-user) single
> # altoptions=(console only) 3
> # altoptions=(recovery mode) single
>
> So you could have three for each kernel.
>
> It's a minor convenience though, and like I said in my other email, not
> really worth the effort of rewriting a bash script.
>
> If I were going to do anything, I'd patch the existing script to do
> something like this and submit a patch. But no promises.

I'd never noticed the "## multiple altoptions lines are allowed" line before!

Re-creating this feature (for your specific case) would just be a
matter of adding one more variable to /etc/default/grub" and short if
stanza at the end of /etc/grub.d/10_linux. A PITA, I know...