Re: GRUB2 - automatically generating extra entries

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use runlevel 3 for non-X boots (gdm, etc is disabled), and to boot
> into it I append "3" to my "normal use" entry in the GRUB2 menu. I'd
> like to just automatically generate the extra line, so that even after
> a kernel upgrade it'll still be there (but obviously for the new
> kernel).
>
> There was a way to do this in legacy GRUB, but it's been so long I
> can't remember what it was (I think there was an automagic kernel
> entry generation section in menu.lst?).
>
> Is there an easy way to do this with GRUB2? I know my way around the
> GRUB2 config scripts and defaults file to some extent, but I'm no
> expert.

You can either populate "/etc/grub.d/40_custom" manually or duplicate
"/etc/grub.d/10_linux" and edit it to suit your purpose.

For grub1, the only way that I can see doing this
automatically/automagically is to replace the single/recovery entries
by init3 entries. You could do the same for grub2 by editing 10_linux
but grub-pc updates will most probably overwrite your changes (simple
ones though).