Re: Re: GRUB2 - automatically generating extra entries

For grub1, the only way that I can see doing this
automatically/automagically is to replace the single/recovery entries
by init3 entries.

I just found my old menu.lst - there was a section that started:

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

You could add an arbitrary number of entries for each kernel, to be generated automatically:

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
##      altoptions=(single-user) single
# altoptions=(console only) 3
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

So you could have three for each kernel.

It's a minor convenience though, and like I said in my other email, not really worth the effort of rewriting a bash script (I hate them, and I dream of a day when bash scripts longer than five lines are banned by the UN, punished by having to manually sort through a 10TB filesystem full of filenames with spaces in them).

If I were going to do anything, I'd patch the existing script to do something like this and submit a patch. But no promises.

Cheers,
Jason