Re: Rebuilding RAID 1 Array in Linux with a new hard disk after a disk fault - Howto with screen shots

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:08:41PM +0800, Huang, Tao wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Michal <michal@ionic.co.uk> wrote:
> > This is a better way then disconnecting the drive and checking which
> > drive was disconnected like I did, but I would still put a very easy to
> > read label on the drive to say /dev/sdX. It would be far easier then
> > checking a long serial number, especially if it's hard to read and you'd
> > need to take each HDD out to check :)
>
> I think the allocating of /dev/sdX depends on the order you plug the
> drives into the machine.
> so it changes over reconfiguring of the hardwares, which makes your
> labels useless.
>
> can someone confirm this?

I had something like this happen on a Lenny amd64 system.  The drive
identifications (/dev/sdX) switched after I performed a kernel upgrade.
If I booted the old kernel, they were back to normal.  That's when I
learned about UUID's...

-Rob