Re: UUID in fstab?

On Friday 18 June 2010 09:15:48 Thomas H. George wrote:
> I edited fstab and replaced /dev/sda1 with UUID=507caf8f-f9cd... (i.e.
> an hell of a long string I obtained from blkid /dev/sda1) leaving the
> rest of the line unchanged as /bkups  ext3  rw,user,noauto  0  2
>
> Next I rebooted the system, mounted /bkups (no problem) and entered the
> command df -h.  The ususal list of partitions were listed and /bkups
> still appeared as the mount point for /dev/sda1.
>
> I take it that everything is working ok and if I were to reconnect the
> sata drives in a different order the designation /dev/sda1 might change
> to something else but mounting /bkups would always access the same
> partition?

Yes, before I commit to Squeeze I  dual boot Lenny/Squeeze where Squeeze has
the new PATA driver stuff. I changed to UUID's in Lenny a while ago to handle
various usb thumb drives.

> I raise this question because I am having trouble installing linux-base
> and linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64.  The installation of linux-base asked to
> change fstab entries to UUID identifiers and I told it to do so.  Later
> in the process the installion failed with the message:
>

> Writing extended state information...
> Setting up linux-base (2.6.32-15) ...
> Logical sector size (15624 bytes) is not a multiple of the physical sector
> size. dosfslabel failed: 256 at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-base.postinst line
> 1059, <STDIN> line 10. dpkg: error processing linux-base (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 9
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
> linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64: linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 depends on
> linux-base (>= 2.6.32-15); however: Package linux-base is not configured
> yet.
> dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  linux-base
>  linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> and, as the installation failed, fstab was unchanged.  Since the
> dosfslabel failed I thought to change the fstab file to use UUID's
> before trying to reinstall linux-base.
>
> Note: I have run dosfsck on the one vfat partition and fskck on the ext3
> partitions and the checks found no errors on any of the partitions.
>
> I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this problem
>
> Tom

I reused a spare partition to install squeeze. I go a similar/same message at
one point. I used system rescue cd & gparted to look at the partition, it
originally  had been partitioned with cfdisk. It didn't like the layout of my
partition, since it was a testing situation I deleted the partition and
re-created it. The new partition was slightly  smaller, some message about
rounding .., but it was what worked. Seems drastic, but simple if its new or
backups are available.
--
Peace,

Greg