Re: Rebuilding RAID 1 Array in Linux with a new hard disk after a disk fault - Howto with screen shots

On 16/06/2010 19:00, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> Steven skrev:
>> How to identify which drive has failed in an array?
>>
>> I have 6 disks, 4 are used in raid (mdadm), the other 2 contain /boot, /
>> and /home.
>> /dev/sdc
>> /dev/sdd
>> /dev/sde
>> /dev/sdf
>> Each have 1 partition.
>> /dev/md0 (raid 1) consists of /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1
>> /dev/md1 (raid 1) consists of /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1
>>
>> If a drive fails, how do I know which drive? This is a desktop system,
>> not
>> a server.
>>

> Just do "ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/". The disks will have factory labels
> with serial-numbers to match.

This is a better way then disconnecting the drive and checking which
drive was disconnected like I did, but I would still put a very easy to
read label on the drive to say /dev/sdX. It would be far easier then
checking a long serial number, especially if it's hard to read and you'd
need to take each HDD out to check :)