Re: Backups - was: Re: LVM

On 06/15/2010 12:49 PM, Lisi wrote:
On Tuesday 15 June 2010 18:06:51 Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:48:04 +0100, Lisi wrote:
On Tuesday 15 June 2010 14:40:44 Camaleón wrote:
I would differentiate between "backup" data and "archived" data.

(...)

Thanks for this.  I was originally responding to Andrew's saying:
<quote>
There are many many ways to make take backups beyond having a disk big
enough to hold the data.
</quote>

I can think of very few - and was interested in what he was thinking of.
Incremental/differential backups are not really practical, since she
will be at school.

Why not practical? Just curious O:-)

Because I shan't have hold of the computer for long enough or often enough!

*Teach* her. She's in Uni, correct? Thus, she should be responsible enough to take care of her own data by sticking in a USB drive and running a script.

A periodic dd (or Clonezilla?) of the whole drive
and more frequent updates of her personal data (of which I understand
that there is not much) would be the optimum, but a trifle pricey, so I
am still looking at alternative possibilities.

The main drawback I see for "dd" or "clonezilla" is that they are very
"slowness". It takes much time (and space!) to make a full copy (or
image) of the disk and so not very practical because at last the user
stops doing the backup on a regular basis :-(

The user isn't going to do the backup on a (frequent) regular basis anyway.
What I am hoping is to be able to dd (or Clonezilla or something) the drive
periodically and take a snapshot of the state of the machine at that point.
That will catch all the slow moving/changing files and facilitate a simple
restoration if needed.  With luck, her personal stuff will fit on a CD or
two.  Or, since we are anyway assuming that I shall be able to find the
money, I may get her a DVD RW.  That she might do reasonably often.

Another possibility that I haven't yet explored is to get a NAS or something
and back all of our machines up to it.

NFS and a multi-drive external USB/Firewire enclosure is all that's needed.

--
Seek truth from facts.