Re: Backups - was: Re: LVM

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:59:46AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 09:48 AM, Lisi wrote:
> >
> >Thanks for this.  I was originally responding to Andrew's saying:
> ><quote>
> >There are many many ways to make take backups beyond having a disk big
> >enough to hold the data.
> ></quote>
> >
> >I can think of very few - and was interested in what he was thinking of.
> >Incremental/differential backups are not really practical, since she will be
> >at school.  A periodic dd (or Clonezilla?) of the whole drive and more
> >frequent updates of her personal data (of which I understand that there is
> >not much) would be the optimum, but a trifle pricey, so I am still looking at
> >alternative possibilities.
> >

> I wrote a script that only backs up our data directories (including
> much of /home) into a bunch of tarballs, excluding "junk" folders
> like caches, thumbnails, trash, etc, and compressing most but not
> stuff like image and OOo document directories.
>
> Each backup goes in a separate, dated directory.
>
> For huge binary directories (like uncompressible video and audio), I
> simply do a "cp -vau" from the "live" tree  to the backup tree.
>
> The bottom line, though, is that *yes*, you *do* need enough disk
> space for the backup data.

Yeah, my choice of words was unfortunate. What I really meant was
something along the lines of:

The inability to find a 1.3TB external disk it not a reason not to
take backups. If the data needs backing up, then there are solutions
besides one big honking disk to copy it onto. Tape drives, big stacks
of DVD-R/RW's, arrays of smaller disks, leased disk space onlines
somewhere, etc.

I think the OP said something like: I have 1.3 TB and it's too big to
backup. This of course is patently ridiculous. meh.

To address Lisi's issue, I would suggest a cronjob that checks for
network connectivity and then if it's got network, runs rsnapshot (or
rdiff-backup) over passwordless ssh to a server somewhere. That would
be fairly lightweight, once the initial copy is made. And it would be
secure and easy in the longrun. If the user needs local backup, then a
usb drive with rsnapshot would be reasonable. It creates duplicate
filetrees at each snapshot, but uses hardlinks for unchanged files to
keep the total size from ballooning out of control. I think it's
pretty slick because it maintains some of the size control of
differential backup but also makes access to the complete filetree at
a given time a snap.

very much my .02