Re: LVM

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 04:52:10 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 6/14/2010 10:45 AM:
> > On Monday 14 June 2010 03:11:56 Gerald C.Catling wrote:
> >> Hi Guy's,
> >> I am not a Debian user but I have seen references to LVM here.
> >> I have 3 drives LVM'd to give me 1.3TB of storage space on my server.
> >> The first drive of this set has died.
> >
> > Mostly, when one of your physical volumes is irrecoverably lost, so is
> > any logical volume whose logical extents corresponded to one of the lost
> > physical extents.
>
> This is why one should only use LVM on top of real hardware or software
> RAID or a big SAN LUN.

You should use LVM on top of whatever you have.  It's vastly superior to
partitioning as a way to divide a disk.  Even if you do not need to divide a
disk, the adds snapshotting and an on-line migration path above just using the
disk.

That said, any data you care about should have some form of single-disk
redundancy (at least) AND a backup plan.

> Using LVM for what most in the IT world have
> typically called "disk spanning", which has been around for over 2
> decades, is a recipe for trouble in the absence of a good backup/recovery
> procedure, as the OP has unfortunately discovered.

My introduction to LVM was partially on Linux, where the disk spanning
capabilities are the most talked about feature, but also some from the HP-UX
side, where we used LVM for handling the mirroring of drives, instead of a
separate RAID sub-system or card.

I think the Linux LVM documentation is fairly clear that a VG will not
normally activate unless all its member PVs are available.

> mirroring them with mdadm.

I also recommend using mdadm to manage your RAID.  I've had it handle 0, 1,
and 5 quite well.  It also supports RAID 6 and some exotic variants on RAID
1/0.