Re: LVM

On Monday 14 June 2010 03:11:56 Gerald C.Catling wrote:
> Hi Guy's,
> I am not a Debian user but I have seen references to LVM here.
> I have 3 drives LVM'd to give me 1.3TB of storage space on my server.
> The first drive of this set has died.

Mostly, when one of your physical volumes is irrecoverably lost, so is any
logical volume whose logical extents corresponded to one of the lost physical
extents.

For logical volumes that did not lose an logical extent, they can be accessed
by starting the volume group in partial mode (--partial [-P]).

For logical volume that did lose a logical extent, the only hope is to
substitute in a device for the missing physical volume, activate the volume
group, and do file system level recovery.  Your file system will be beyond
inconsistent; the number of whole files you recover will likely be small.
Before this is even attempted, the data on the logical volumes and the volume
group meta-data should be backed up.

In some respects an volume group is like a RAID 0 set, but quite a bit more
flexible.  I have only a single volume group, but I am careful to try and keep
logical volumes on only a single physical volume unless space constraints
force a "bad" layout.  This allows me maximum access to data in partial mode.