It looks as if OpenOffice is sick. Was: Looking for a .fodt validator

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:04:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 16:37:45 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:49:35 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> You can choose any XML validators out there :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/xsv
>>
>> To uise that, I'd first have to have the XML schema for .fodt.
>>
>> What's more, that page seems to be about validating a schema, rather
>> than checking whether an XML file satisfies the schema.
>>
>> Maybe I'm wrong.  Am I missing something?
>
> It checks xml syntax.
>
> So it depends on what do you want to validate, DTD, schema, DOM syntax?
>
> There are also schema validators:
>
> http://tools.decisionsoft.com/schemaValidate/
>
> OASIS site should have "fodt" schemas you can use as template for
> guidance on creating the file and then cheking against that :-?
>
>>> Also, if you open the file with a web browser (epiphany, iceweasel...)
>>> it will tell the errors it finds.
>>
>> iceweasel just reads the XML file and shows it to me in a nice indented
>> tree format.  It's good to know I have such a tool.  But it finds no
>> errors.  Persumably, therefore, my XML is OK but I've violated the
>> .fodt schema, or hit a bug in OpenOffice Writer.
>
> That indicates the XML syntax of your file is valid, but yes, OOo is
> maybe crashing because cannot interpret the syntax. Launch OOo writer
> and load that fodt file from command line to see the output errors.
>
> Greetings,

Thanks.  With my newfound iceweasel, I decided to use OpenOffice to make
an .fodt file to compare with my own.

I wrote a page with a footer containing a page number.  I had no trouble
saving it as an .odt file, but OpenOffice 3.0 crashed when I tried to
save it as .fodt.  So it looks as if .fodt support in OpenOffice is
totally fried.

Not only that, but after it crashed while saving the .fodt file, it son't
come up again at all.  I don't even get to the "sorry I crashed, would
you like me to recover what you ewre doning?" dialogue.

Presumably there's some hostory file in a dot directory I need to delete
so as to get OpenOffice to work again.

I really hadn't expected something this straigntforward to fail!

Now I need another word processor that *does* handle .fodt.  Or figure
out how to install an obsolete OpenOffice into my squeeze system.  Or
change the code I've written to make a whole lot of files into a
temporary directory and zip them...

Thanks.

-- hendrik