Re: ls has stopped using the ISO date format

On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:51:14 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sun,30.May.10, 18:05:43, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> This way I have to think *less* to be sure about the date. No guessing.
>
> You example shows only dates where it is quite obvious what date format
> is used. Let me see...
>
> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
>
> Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How (I'd
> really like to know)?

You got it :-)

That can only be read as "3rd May, 2010".

And that is precisely the gain of the ISO date format over the rest of
the other alternatives: nodoby has to ask -or guess- "what your locale
is" in order to correctly interpret the date you are showing because is
always fixed ("year-month-day" notation).

Humans have to learn many things from computers. Mainly, "logic".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón