Re: ls has stopped using the ISO date format

On Lu, 31 mai 10, 06:39:15, Camaleón wrote:

> > -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
> > -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
> >
> > Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How (I'd
> > really like to know)?
>
> You got it :-)
>
> That can only be read as "3rd May, 2010".
>
> And that is precisely the gain of the ISO date format over the rest of
> the other alternatives: nodoby has to ask -or guess- "what your locale
> is" in order to correctly interpret the date you are showing because is
> always fixed ("year-month-day" notation).

Sorry, but I mean, if I'm an ignorant about date formats (which many
computer users are), but happen to know that computers often use some
format where month comes before day (american style) it is not at all
obvious.

And there is nothing to guess about dd mmm yyyy, worst case I just don't
understand the mmm string because it's in the wrong language.

Regards,
Andrei, devil's advocate of the day :)