Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:

I would say, the default bootloader should be grub1, expert installation can offer grub2 as well. Lilo should be in the distribution as well, so people can switch after installation. At least for the next release.

I have a question related to this: recently the screen on a dual boot (XP/Lenny) laptop got busted pretty badly (almost to the point where grub1's blue splash screen menu is not visible at all), and since the primary purpose of this laptop is now to boot to XP to use Netflix's Microsoft Silverlight-based movie player while connected to an hdtv for on-line movie watching, I just booted to Lenny, changed the "default=0" value to "default=3" in /boot/grub/menu.lst so it now boots to XP by default.  My limited experience with grub2 in Squeeze didn't appear to have this ability, so what would I have done in this case?  Would I be fscked?

Thanks,
Mark