Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Tue, 25 May 2010 13:12:27 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> No software is entirely without cost ...
>> volunteers work on whatever they like ...
>> your specific requirements may differ from their goals ...
>> volunteers are rarely concerned with "market share" ...
>
> All excellent points, Boyd.  Fortunately in this case, extlinux appears
> to be a viable solution.  I'll soon know ...

Unfortunately, logical backups of a Linux machine using the extlinux
boot loader do not work with our backup/restore software.  The master boot
record and partition boot sector are restored correctly, but
/boot/extlinux/extlinux.sys will probably not be restored to the exact
same sectors from which it was backed up, and the restore software has no
special logic to remedy that situation.  Therefore, after restore, the
machine will not boot.  It *does* recognize lilo and has special logic
to patch lilo after the restore so that the machine will boot.

The problem can be circumvented by taking an image backup
instead of a logical backup, but that gets into special backup
requirements.  Until we get newer backup software I must either use
lilo or ask for special backup procedures for my Linux servers.
I choose the former.  Logical (file by file) backups have many advantages,
one of which is to avoid giving the Windows advocates an excuse to oppose
further deployment of Linux servers.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :