Re: firewire regression in newer kernels [was: Re: is firewire broken in Debain?]

H.S. wrote:

> I posted this problem over at linux1394-user mailing list (subject "Kino
> and dvgrab not working with camcorder ....", date 28 May 2010 11:39 PM).
> Stefan Richter has been extremely helpful, and diligent, in tracking
> down the problem. He has found its root and has proposed a solution.
>
> So it is only fair to clarify that this is not a problem in Debian per
> say, but has been discovered as (i) a regression in the kernel and (ii)
> due to a bug in the camcorder's firmware (Sony DCR TRV25). I am sure we
> can expect a solution in the new firewire stack in the linux kernel soon.

Forgot to mention: the camcorder works in an older kernel (2.6.26-2-686)
without any problems. I had to change nothing (no modules, no udev
rules) from the newer kernel scenario.

The camcorder appears as:
$> ls -altr /dev/raw*
crw-rw---- 1 root video 171, 0 May 30 11:04 /dev/raw1394

So rebooting in to an older kernel is a workaround for the present.

Regards.

ever having been read.