firewire regression in newer kernels [was: Re: is firewire broken in Debain?]

H.S. wrote:
> I used to grab video from my DCR TVR25 MiniDV camcorder without any
> problems in the past on Debian Testing using Kino or dvgrab. Since some
> kernel version and up, this has not been possible anymore.
>
> I am now using Debian Testing, KDE and kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686.
>
> I see that firewire is now handled differently in the kernel and that
> /dev/fw? devices are formed instead of /dev/raw1394. Since Kino demands
> the latter, I have created a symbolic link /dev/raw1394 to /dev/fw0 (or
> fw1, as the case may be).
>
> I have these modules loaded:
> $> lsmod | grep fire
> firewire_sbp2           9575  0
> firewire_net            9181  0
> firewire_ohci          16477  0
> firewire_core          30915  3 firewire_sbp2,firewire_net,firewire_ohci
> crc_itu_t               1035  1 firewire_core
> scsi_mod              101073  3 firewire_sbp2,sr_mod,libata
>

> When I connect the DV camera to the firewire port, I get these error
> messages in syslog (trimmed some irrelevant info for better formatting):
> 46:09 krnl [ 2422.285885] firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID
> 08004601024aca36, S100
> 46:09 krnl [ 2422.285897] firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new
> root=ffc1, gap_count=5
> 46:10 krnl [ 2423.440290] firewire_ohci: isochronous cycle inconsistent
> 46:10 krnl [ 2423.940722] firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new
> root=ffc1, gap_count=5
<SNIP>

> Kino still doesn't work, I complains that raw1394 module is not
> available. But those isochronous error message still trouble me. Anybody
> now what is going on? How is one supposed to get around this problem?
>
> Thanks.

I posted this problem over at linux1394-user mailing list (subject "Kino
and dvgrab not working with camcorder ....", date 28 May 2010 11:39 PM).
Stefan Richter has been extremely helpful, and diligent, in tracking
down the problem. He has found its root and has proposed a solution.

So it is only fair to clarify that this is not a problem in Debian per
say, but has been discovered as (i) a regression in the kernel and (ii)
due to a bug in the camcorder's firmware (Sony DCR TRV25). I am sure we
can expect a solution in the new firewire stack in the linux kernel soon.

ever having been read.