Re: A question about services

On Sun,30.May.10, 14:23:22, AG wrote:

> 2.  Services currently activated at start up (according to GNOME):
>
> alsa-utils - audi settings (I'm okay with that)
> anacron - actions scheduler (needed)
> atd - actions scheduler (needed)
> avahi-daemon - multicast DNS service discovery (do I need this?)

This I always purge, but could be useful for automatic service
discovery.

> cpudfrequtils (shows useful info when called up with hardinfo)
> cron - actions scheduler (needed)
> cups - printer service (needed)
> dirmngr - ? (no idea - sounds reasonable but ...?)
> exim4 - mail agent (maybe needed for POP3 and accessing GMail from
> my email client?)

No, it's a SMTP server, meant to receive mail on port 25, for example
from cron. You could put it to good use to relay mail you send to your
SMTP server (gmail or ISP), assuming you don't use webmail only.

cron can do without a MTA now and if you don't ever read root's mail you
can get rid of it, but I'd rather recommend reading root's mail :)

You could also replace it with a forwarding MTA, that doesn't run as a
daemon, if you don't mind sending root's mail via the internet.

> hal - ? (needed, I think)
> kerneloops - automated crash reports support (can't be bad)
> lm-sensors - hardware monitor (probably a good thing)
> loadcpufreq - ? (maybe worth having enabled?)
> mysql - database server (KDE4 seems to need it and it's handy if I

I think you can disable it without affecting the functionality needed by
KDE. You won't be able to remove/purge it unless you remove big parts of
KDE.

> needed a decent dBase)
> polipo - ? (now seemingly relied on by Tor, which I do want)
> portmap - rpc mapper (wasn't this the bette noire for crackers

This I always purge.

> scanning ports?  Anyway, do I need it for mounting/ accessing the
> external USB drive?)
> pyro-nsd - ? (seemingly necessary for Python calls & as I have a
> number of Python utilities and libraries loaded, so will keep that)
> rsyslog - ? (systems logging - needed)

This one is very good for troubleshooting.

> sudo - ? (needed)
> tor - ? (needed)
>
> 3.  Questions:
>
> 3.1. Do I need anacron *and* atd *and* cron?  Do they all work
> together or am I wasting resources, etc., by having all going?  How
> do I figure out which one is the safest to stop?

anacron is useful if your machine is not on all the time, especially
during the night, when most cronjobs are set to run.

atd is useful if you want to schedule one-time jobs, unlike cron, which
is for jobs which have to be repeated on certain intervals.

Regards,
Andrei