Re: IPv4-capable XDMCP server in Debian squeeze?

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 23:16:06 +0300, Per Lundberg wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Julien,
>
> > I'm fairly sure xdmcp over ipv4 works just fine with both xdm and gdm in
> > squeeze, because I tested them (and made them work with the bindv6only=1
> > setting) a month or two ago.
>
> OK, that's interesting... Just for the sake of it, I even tried
> enabling the bindv6only (net.ipv6.bindv6only=1) setting, to see if it
> would make any difference. Negative; it still only binds to the udp6
> socket.
>
> per@terah:/etc/sysctl.d$ sudo netstat -l -n -p | grep 177
> udp6       0      0 :::177                  :::*
>          1632/xdm

That's fine, bind() on in6addr_any lets you receive ipv4 packets when
IPV6_V6ONLY is turned off (which xdm does even if the system default is
backwards).

> Do you have any active XDM setup where you could try this yourself? As
> I hinted in my previous email, I'm not 100% sure of this, but doesn't
> the above udp6 line mean that it will *only* work from an ipv6-capable
> client...?

Sorry, I can't test right now, but no, as I said above an udp6 socket
can talk to ipv4 hosts.

Cheers,
Julien