Re: IPv4-capable XDMCP server in Debian squeeze?

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> wrote:

Hi Carl, and thanks for your reply!

(I'll include my full original email, since I extended the audience to
the debian-devel list as well)

> Per Lundberg <perlun@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Isn't there any XDMCP-capable server available in squeeze that can
>> speak ipv4 any more?
>>
>> I read about the "net.ipv6.bindv6only" issue (in a bug report).
>> However, that setting is most assuredly set to 0 when I check with
>> sysctl -a.
>> I also forcibly disabled IPv6 support altogether (since I don't need
>> it), also by using a sysctl interface, but it still doesn't help me.
> It can't be binding to an interface that doesn't exist, so it sounds
> as though you haven't disabled it properly.  You can type
> '/sbin/ifconfig' and look for inet6 entries.  You shouldn't have any
> if IPv6 is disabled.  You can check for anything listening on IPv6
> with 'netstat -l6'.  Have you looked at the Debian wiki page at
> 'http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6'?  If you have followed those
> directions for disabling, did you reboot afterwards?

Yes, the sysctl thing from the Wiki page is exactly the same method
I'm using. I just rebooted, and this is the output from netstat -l6
afterwards:

per@terah:~$ netstat -l6
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp6       0      0 [::]:ssh                [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:microsoft-ds       [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:netbios-ssn        [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:57650              [::]:*                  LISTEN
udp6       0      0 [::]:xdmcp              [::]:*

The sysctl is definitely in effect, though:

per@terah:/etc/sysctl.d$ /sbin/sysctl -a | grep ipv6 | grep disable
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth1.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth2.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6 = 1

...and ifconfig doesn't show any ipv6 addresses.

> I just looked at mine (kdm) and it only seems to be listening to IPv6,
> but I am pretty sure it will also connect to IPv4.  I just checked
> google and there are some similar problems listed and some suggestions
> on how to solve them.  One suggests using module aliases to prevent
> (http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/disable-ipv6-on-debian-lenny-quick-howto.html).

Yeah, I read the idea about module aliases as well, but it seems
pointless since IPv6 isn't a module on my system (using the
2.6.32-3-amd64 kernel from squeeze).

It's interesting however that you say that you expect it to work with
IPv4 even though it has only bound the ipv6 socket. I guess you could
be right (depending on how the actual ipv4-to-ipv6 stuff works...). In
my case however, I can't get a working XMDCP login screen so I'm
suspecting this is the problem.

(Please, Cc any replies to my email address since I don't subscribe to
the mailing lists. Thanks)
--
Best regards,
Per Lundberg