Re: IPv4-capable XDMCP server in Debian squeeze?

Per Lundberg <perlun@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there!
>
> Isn't there any XDMCP-capable server available in squeeze that can
> speak ipv4 any more?
>
> I read about the "net.ipv6.bindv6only" issue (in a bug report).
> However, that setting is most assuredly set to 0 when I check with
> sysctl -a.
> I also forcibly disabled IPv6 support altogether (since I don't need
> it), also by using a sysctl interface, but it still doesn't help me.

It can't be binding to an interface that doesn't exist, so it sounds
as though you haven't disabled it properly.  You can type
'/sbin/ifconfig' and look for inet6 entries.  You shouldn't have any
if IPv6 is disabled.  You can check for anything listening on IPv6
with 'netstat -l6'.  Have you looked at the Debian wiki page at
'http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6'?  If you have followed those
directions for disabling, did you reboot afterwards?

> Both when trying with xdm and gdm, they *only* bind to the udp6
> socket. Quite broken if you ask me, _especially when ipv6 support is
> disabled in the kernel_!

I just looked at mine (kdm) and it only seems to be listening to IPv6,
but I am pretty sure it will also connect to IPv4.  I just checked
google and there are some similar problems listed and some suggestions
on how to solve them.  One suggests using module aliases to prevent
(http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/disable-ipv6-on-debian-lenny-quick-howto.html).

> I haven't tried with KDM so far (and I'd rather not, since I have no
> interest in running KDE).

I wouldn't expect it to be different.

> Any hints? The reason I want IPv4 XDMCP is that I will connect to the
> server from a Windows XP machine, using Xming. I wasn't aware that
> this has suddenly become an awful lot of work, since the introduction
> of the wonderful new toy called IPv6... :-)
>
> (Please, Cc any replies to my email address since I don't subscribe to
> the mailing list. Thanks)

Done.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org