Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 04:34:06PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> > I for one would really appreciate it if the lilo maintainer could write
> > just a little bit about the scope of work required to fix it (to this
> > list). It would be a real shame if lilo goes away.
>
> Is it, by the way, true that using LILO allows you to put /boot on LVM?

It's possible for a simple LVM setup.  However, it's also very
easy to get an unbootable system!  Since it's just storing
blocklists, any LVM changes have the potential to screw up
LILO, and (from experience) it's actually quite hard to rescue
once broken (due to difficulties getting the LVM/RAID up and
mounted and then running lilo in a chroot; I had issues with
the device numbers being wrong).

Nowadays I just use a separate /boot and then use GRUB2, and
it all works nicely.

Regards,
Roger

--