Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:39:52 -0500
William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:

> As for removal, the following things need to be done:
>
> (1) The release notes need to be updated to reflect that lilo is no
> longer a bootloader option;
> (2) The debian-installer team needs to remove the lilo-installer udeb;
> (3) The ftpmasters need to remove lilo from unstable (which will be
> done using the appropriate bug filing once the above steps are made);
> (4) Users need to test grub2 now.

grub is really, really, really annoying.  if grub2 is going to be the
standard, and more importantly lilo will no longer be an option, is it
possible that the documentation could be updated so that mere mortals
can understand how it works and be able to modify the boot sequence
without having to be #$%@! bootloader experts ?

The last time I tried to figure out how to configure grub I removed it
and installed lilo, and I'm hardly the only one who has that reaction.

*sigh*.  I guess it's time to take one for the team...

Brian