Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

Sven Joachim put forth on 5/23/2010 1:05 AM:
> On 2010-05-23 07:47 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> No, resist forced conformity.  This is Linux.  We have multiple choice with
>> everything else, so we should darn well have our choice of boot loader.
>
> You're welcome to work on lilo so that can cope with the increasing size
> of kernel images and initramfs.

My point was exactly that.  For users who run tight, tiny, custom kernels
either without initrd (such as myself) or with tiny initrd tailored to a
specific hardware config, LILO should be allowed as an option for these users.

Grub is bloated because it is designed to accommodate bloat.  LILO is the
antithesis of bloat.

Many OPs don't need or want LILO to be able to accommodate bloated kernel
images or initrd.  The current version of LILO is fine.  We just want the
option to be able to use LILO because our kernel images aren't bloated, and
Grub is a PITA to work with, and is unnecessary on our systems.

--
Stan