Re: (OT) suggestion on terse wording of "IT Helpdesk"

On Thu, 27 May 2010 10:32:51 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> On 2010年05月25日 15:48, Camaleón wrote:

>> Hard to tell as you are not providing many details :-)
>
> Perhaps culture difference does play a role in this.

Or perpahs you didn't properly explain your main goal.

Sub-addressing (+) is a very well-known system (at least for people in
the know which operates mail servers) but your first concern was directed
to e-mail address "length" and then you asked what could be done for make
it "shorter".

I for my self at least, thought you were having a problem with your
"username wording" and not with "plus addressing" or mail filtering :-)

> Zhang Weiwu the support engineer of Office IT services of ICD SS
> <zhangweiwu+it_helpdesk.icd_ss@realss.com>
>
> would trigger processing rule on the server to categorize the email to
> it_helpdesk request and to categorize it under customer company
> "icd_ss". When I leave the post, others can easily get all my previous
> communication context by looking at helpdesk support requests of
> icd_css. It also makes it easy for a colleague to search other
> colleagues' email in regarding to helpdesk, since, such emails do not
> have much privacy concern and are made available for all colleagues.
> Those emails who might have privacy concern is without plus and tags.

Well, now that all is more clear, what is then your concern?

As long as your e-mail address follows the RFC standards, you should not
care about nothing more, provided that you don't need to fulfill any
requirements and that you can choose whatever username you want :-)

> I am sorry for thinking +tag use in email address is self-evident, seems
> I triggered more off-topic discussions. All other replies in the thread
> assume I use plus symbol for some fancy reasons. For example, Stan
> Hoeppner thought the email address is designed to be readable,
> duplicating the use of DisplayName. Camaleón thought the long email
> address is used to convey information to my recipient instead of for the
> recipient to convey information to me, thus he suggested Organization
> MIME field.

It seems several of us (at least me) had problems to understand your
first writing :-)

> One may argue we could simply use email address like
> it_helpdesk.icd_css@realss.com, but the personnel's name also need to be
> there for a different workflow related reason too long to address here.
>
> I think I will just take <zhangweiwu+aid.ice_ss@realss.com> ...

Anyway, I would go for Stan advice: keep things as simple as you can.

Using the e-mail address for mail filtering is not a good strategy. You
can still use MIME headers (or "body/subject" fields) to put the "extra"
data on the message and then let sieve filters analyze those.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón