Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

Stefan Monnier, le Thu 27 May 2010 00:58:14 -0400, a écrit :
> >> Really?
> > Yes.
>
> That sucks.
>
> >> and it sounds very odd: why would they do that when they can use
> >> sectors on specified partitions?
> > Because the question is "where?".
>
> Inside a file, like LILO does.
>
> > The lilo approach is "inside the filesystem", which can break.
> > The grub approach is "right after MBR", which needs room there.
>
> But you can install Grub in a partition (rather than the MBR), so how
> does it work then?

Grub1 could because it was small enough to fit in a well-known usable
area in the ext2fs filesystem, but grub2 can not any more.

> >> grub (legacy) can be installed in any partition. IIUC grub2 is limited to
> >> being installed in the MBR.
> > Due to the differing sizes, yes.
>
> Why does the size make any difference?

Because the availabnle well-known areas have limited size.

> At least for the Lilo-like technique, size is not an issue.

Yes, but the file moving in the filesystem is an issue.

Samuel