Re: (OT) suggestion on terse wording of "IT Helpdesk"

On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:02:11 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Hello. In our company we use a email naming convention like this:
>
> Zhang Weiwu on Holz Project <zhangweiwu+proj.holtz@realss.com>
>
> Problem being when a special email address is needed for Office IT, it
> become too long for many web forms and email clients:
>
> Zhang Weiwu the support engineer of Office IT services of ICD SS
> <zhangweiwu+it_helpdesk.icd_ss@realss.com>
>
> So what would a *nix Guru make this shorter?

Hard to tell as you are not providing many details :-)

1/ Do you have any requirements to fulfill?
I.e., if it must appear the company name and job positition in the
username.

2/ Can you provide an alias alongside with the full address?
That way, users may have a long e-mail address and a short alias they can
use if they experience any problem when they have to give their e-mail
address at any website

3/ Keep it simple
Avoid mixing different characters like "_" (underscore), "." (dots) and
"-" (dash) to sepparate words. Keeping the same format is easier to
remeber: "surenamename.company.position@domain.com" or "surenamename-
company-position@domain.com"

4/ Use signatures and e-mail header fields ("Company:") for expanding
information about your corporative data.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón