Re: microphone

deloptes on 26/05/10 19:19, wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:

It was muted. Ha! Discovered that in alsamixer eventually. Couldn't make
sense of amixer output - is it reading the same config as alsamixer? It's
got to be, right?

In amixer it's not that obvious

Alsamixer has a column for line, cd and mic which allowed me to take mute
off from mic and now it comes thro from this mic on the soundcard to the
speakers, but I still can't get anything with aplay or with audacity.

may be you'll need to learn about alsa, or pulse audio (which will be the
interface of the future)

Audacity has recording device choices of ALSA HDA Intel ALC882 Analog
hw:0,0, hw:0,1 and hw:0,2

Don't know what to make of it. This is a amixer output:

it means 3 inputs - identify and feed them

[....]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [1.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [1.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
Capabilities: volume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: 0 - 3
Front Left: 2 [67%]
Front Right: 2 [67%]
[....]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
Item0: 'CD'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
Item0: 'CD'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',2
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
Item0: 'Front Mic'

this means you have one built in mic ( a booster to it - it adds some db -
usually not needed)
then you have 3 other inputs that you can use.
you can usually setup one for recording at a time but perhaps jack or
something like audacity can use all 3 at a time.

changing the input source in alsamixer will do the job i.e.

Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
Item0: 'CD'

I would change to

Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
Item0: 'Mic'

I'm trying to pick this stuff up but I find the amixer man page quite obtuse, and I'm not finding an alsa-oriented website that's any better either.

I can't figure out why you recommend changing 'input source 1'. What about 0 and 2? And anyway, I can't figure out how to change them in alsamixer (there seem to be no options for anything except mute), nor in amixer with its sset and cset parameters.

And if that doesn't sound like I'm having a bad time, Java has just decided it is getting upset with what I'm doing and can't use sound anymore:

Error: Sound line is not available.javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_UNSIGNED 11025.0 Hz, 8 bit, mono, 1 bytes/frame, not supported.

It was happy enough until I started messing with the mic - I wondered why my Java app had gone silent. Not that it was that noisy.

Sorry if this is getting boring but if there's a good source for documentation on this stuff, just point me at it and I'll figure it out.

rgds
Adam