Re: microphone

Adam Hardy wrote:

> deloptes on 25/05/10 21:09, wrote:
>> Adam Hardy wrote:
>>
>>>  arecord -Dplughw:0,1 |aplay
>>>
>> I just also see that you are not using the command as suggested by me
>>
>>  -f cd -vv /dev/null

it says record with music cd format (I think 44100MHz), be very verbose
(-vv) and write to dev/null

>> regards
>
> er yes. sorry, figured i could either look up what that did or just leave
> it out, so I chose to leave it out :O
>
> adam@isengard:~$ arecord -Dplughw:0,0 -c1 -f cd -vv /dev/null
> Recording WAVE '/dev/null' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
> Stereo Plug PCM: Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel' device 0 subdevice 0
> Its setup is:
>    stream       : CAPTURE
>    access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
>    format       : S16_LE
>    subformat    : STD
>    channels     : 2
>    rate         : 44100
>    exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
>    msbits       : 16
>    buffer_size  : 16384
>    period_size  : 4096
>    period_time  : 92879
>    tstamp_mode  : NONE
>    period_step  : 1
>    avail_min    : 4096
>    start_threshold  : 1
>    stop_threshold   : 16384
>    silence_threshold: 0
>    silence_size : 0
>    boundary     : 1073741824
> #+                                                 | 00%^C
>
> Still not a whisper.

yes I could think of it. it changes for me if I set the input mic to
the "Front Mic" (it depends on your card). You mentioned the mic on your
usb is working, then it is a setting in your mixer that tells alsa to grab
from the usb mic.

amixer
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Mic'

or

amixer
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Front Mic'

thus for me the first one enables the USB mic and the second one the built
in mic in the notebook. (Line is self explaining)

Check out your mixer settings (amixer, alsamixer or kmix/gnome-mixer) and
switch to the other mic - try the first command and the indicator
should change when recording some sounds. i.e.

the nice thing with this test is that you don't need boxes or x to setup the
sound system - I love linux and debian in particular.

regards