Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 14:23:58 thib wrote:
> I think
> administrators should really consider GPT for their new setups now;  it
> has definitely more advantages than just "allowing for big partitions",
> and it's darn simple (not sure how anybody could defend the "I stick to
> what I know" point here). Note that this partition scheme doesn't need EFI
> hardware, it's entirely backward compatible with PC/BIOS systems

I agree.  I think d-i onto an unpartitioned disk should probably use GPT by
default.

> (you can
> even have hybrid GUID/DOS partition tables if you're really stuck with
> crappy software).

You do sacrifice one of your primary partitions to the GPT "flag" partition.
If you have somehow gotten stuck with 3/4 OSes that only boot off of a primary
partition, it may be quite difficult to move to GPT.