Re: microphone

deloptes on 26/05/10 17:09, wrote:
yes I could think of it. it changes for me if I set the input mic to
the "Front Mic" (it depends on your card). You mentioned the mic on your
usb is working, then it is a setting in your mixer that tells alsa to grab
from the usb mic.
amixer
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Mic'

or

amixer
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Front Mic'

thus for me the first one enables the USB mic and the second one the built
in mic in the notebook. (Line is self explaining)

Check out your mixer settings (amixer, alsamixer or kmix/gnome-mixer) and
switch to the other mic - try the first command and the indicator #+ | 00%
should change when recording some sounds. i.e.
        ######                                      +      | 87%

It was muted. Ha! Discovered that in alsamixer eventually. Couldn't make sense of amixer output - is it reading the same config as alsamixer? It's got to be, right?

Alsamixer has a column for line, cd and mic which allowed me to take mute off from mic and now it comes thro from this mic on the soundcard to the speakers, but I still can't get anything with aplay or with audacity.

Audacity has recording device choices of ALSA HDA Intel ALC882 Analog hw:0,0, hw:0,1 and hw:0,2

Don't know what to make of it. This is a amixer output:

[....]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [1.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [1.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Front Left: 2 [67%]
  Front Right: 2 [67%]
[....]